Who we are
The Production Managers’ Forum (PMF) is a resource for anyone involved in the production or technical management of theatre or live events.
It enables members to share ideas, information and knowledge, and to connect with each other through the PMF website, social media channels, support hub, newsletters, regular forums and social events.
How we Run
The PMF is a not for profit organisation run for the members, by the members. The organising committee is made up of experienced Theatre and Events professionals, who give their time for free. You can see our details here. We communicate all the time using an online hub and have monthly virtual meetings. We are always happy to talk to members who would like to join the committee. Current committee vacancies can be found here but if you you have a particular skill or area of interest you think might interest us, we would be very happy to hear from you.
what we offer
Our members are sent regular Newsletters and mailings, featuring news and articles from and about the Production and Technical Management world.
We hold regular Forums around the UK on subjects relevant to and suggested by our membership. These are always followed by Socials which all Theatre and Event professionals are welcome to join. Forums are streamed live and interactively on Facebook, and recorded as an industry resource.
We run a mentoring scheme to support aspiring and early career Production Managers.
The website also hosts our Support section. Based on an interactive map this shows professionals and suppliers who are willing to be contacted for assistance or information; and recommended or self proposed suppliers, listed by trade.
Finally we have a closed Facebook page, where members can ask questions and share experiences and knowledge.
The PMF was originally created by the Association of British Theatre Technicians (ABTT) and the Stage Management Association (SMA) in 2000 and is still actively promoted and supported by both organisations, and by theatre and live events companies and suppliers.
It was relaunched in its current format at the ABTT Theatre Show in 2017. You can see a video of that relaunch here. We are grateful for the seed funding provided at the time by Central School of Speech and Drama, Steeldeck, National Theatre Wales and from individuals via a crowd funding initiative. White Light continue to help fund our website, and other suppliers sponsor individual forums.
The PMF is constantly expanding and evolving.
- In 2018 Suzy Somerville came on board and has developed our Support section.
- In 2019, led by Ollie Brown, we started our Mentoring Scheme, and also introduced a formal constitution.
- In January 2020 we held our first Annual General Meeting at the National Theatre. You can find details about that here.
- At the AGM it was agreed that the PMF would become a Community Interest Company (CIC), which it now is.
- We also started recruiting Associate Committee members to help with specific areas of the PMF’s work.
- In 2019 Ian Taylor, Production Manager and Managing Director of eStage, joined the team. He has used his expertise to develop our brilliant new website. eStage generously sponsor the PMF by providing hosting and maintenance of the site, which has greatly improved our ability to fulfill our aim of being an important resource and support network for our members.